Friday, November 4, 2016

Chicken, rice & vegetables

I started this recipe with a can of La Choy stir fry vegetables, drained.  I would also consider using a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables.  That would actually be less sodium, but this is what we had on hand and the bean sprouts are a nice change that you wouldn't necessarily get in a frozen bag.

I added a can of chunk chicken breast.  Now, they do make this in reduced sodium which I have tried & found it to be wretched even though I really should be using it instead of regular.  But for now, uh no.  baby steps.  We actually drained the chicken & reserved the broth, adding some cornstarch to it which thickened this up slightly.  You could also just dump the whole can & use as is.  Heat vegetables & chicken in a pan until the veggies are heated thru.

My mom is doing low carb diet, so she stopped there & had chicken & vegetables.  On my plan, consistent complex carbs are better for me, so I'm adding rice, but subbing a brown/wild rice mix for white rice.  I found this product was lowest in sodium for me of the different types of rice I looked at.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Success-Natural-Whole-Grain-Brown-Wild-2-4.4-oz-Rice-8.8-oz/15754608
(I have no connection to walmart...but most people have them nearby & they do provide nutritional values on the webpage, so I've found this the easiest way to search for foods)
Yes, a box of it would be cheaper, but this is about convenience & ease.  I actually bought these cups first because I wasn't sure I would like it & didn't want to waste a whole box if I didn't.

So I got to heat this cup, dump in a bowl & add the heated chicken & vegetables.  Yup, a hot cooked lunch in less than 10 min.  I actually loved the texture of the rice with this.  Turned out really good.





No comments:

Post a Comment